Has you Apple iPod Nano ever frozen or locked up on you? Recently I had my iPod Nano freeze up on me, it did not respond to anything I did – the scroll wheel, and attempted clicking, or even any flipping of the hold switch back and forth.
As one can imagine, it is a little disconcerting when your iPod Nano will not respond, especially since it does not have a reset button or an on/off switch like a computer. However, the good news is that with relative ease you can still reset your iPod Nano quickly.
Here are the steps that are required, with pictures on how to reset your iPod should you ever end up in this situation.
1. First make sure that the hold button on the top of your iPod Nano is not set to the hold position. The hold button is on the top of the iPod Nano is on the right side of your iPod Nano. If it is on the left side and showing orange, then it is in the ‘Hold’ position – meaning nothing else will function. Slide the hold button to the right.
2. Next, now you need to hold down both the ‘Menu’ button on the clickwheel and the white center button on you iPod Nano simultaneously. Make sure you hold both of these buttons down at the same time for 5-10 seconds. This should effectively restart your iPod Nano.
3. You will know that your iPod Nano is restarting when the screen flashes and the Apple icon appears on the screen.
If this does not work, switch the hold button on then off and repeat the steps above. If this step does not work, attach your iPod to a power supply (wall charger for the iPod, USB charger for the iPod Nano). Lastly, if that is not successful, then you contact Apple support to get your iPod fixed.
This guide is compatible with the following iPods:
- Fifth Generation iPod (also known as iPod with video)
- iPod nano (Second Generation)
- iPod nano
- iPod with color display (iPod photo)
- iPod (Click Wheel)
- iPod mini
- iPod mini (Second Generation)
- iPod Video