As I wrote about last weekend, Google recently launch their Google Mobile Maps (GMM) with GPS (Global Positioning System) access for the Blackberry 8800 Series for RIM devices (8800, 8830). Since that time I have both installed and used the service within Google Maps. For a beta, its pretty impressive. I will be publishing my overall thoughts in the next few days, however this is the installation or how-to guide for the Google Mobile Maps for your Blackberry 8800 Series device. Guide, Manual, Installation, Install, Tutorial, Step-by-Step, How to, Instructions This guide is compatible with or the compatibility includes: BlackBerry 8800 and Blackberry 8830.
Here is the step-by-step:
1. Browse on your Blackberry (or Opera Mini) browser to http://www.google.com/gmm.
2. Click on the 'Download Google Maps' link for the Blackberry 8800.
3. Click on the 'Download' button in order to download Google Maps version 1.5.2, it is approximately 200k in size and should take less than a minute to download on the Cingular EDGE network.
4. Downloading starts and completes in less than a minute.
5. Your Blackberry 8800 Series device will give the message "This application does not contain a signature. It might not be from a trusted source. Do you want to proceed?" Click 'Yes' to continue.
6. The application installer will return the message "The application was successfully installed." Click on the 'OK' or 'Run' button.
7. Upon starting up the Google Maps application, it will prompt you by saying "The application gmaps8800_v4_2_L1 requested access to your GPS location information. Do you wish to grant access?" This is required in order for the GPS to work with GMM. If you do not want the application to ask you every time you use it, check the "Don't ask this again" checkbox and click on "Yes."
8. Next, the application will attempt to make HTTP connections to Google Mobile Maps (GMM). You will be prompted with "The application Google Maps has requested a http connection www.google.com." Check both boxes if you do not want to be prompted again and then click on "Allow Connection."
9. First page of the terms and conditions. Read, scroll to the bottom and click on "More."
10. Second page of terms and conditions. Read, click menu or trackball and select accept.
11. Congratulations, installation and setup are completed. You will know it is working properly when you see the "Updating location" in the upper right hand corner and Google will allow you to zoom to your location by hitting the zero or "0" key.
Guide, Manual, Installation, Install, Tutorial, Step-by-Step, How to, Instructions
This guide is compatible with or the compatibility includes: BlackBerry 8800 and Blackberry 8830.