As your Nintendo Wii ages with use, one of the more common repairs that you may need to do would include replacing the internal fan. Fortunately, once you are able to take apart your Nintendo Wii console, the fan replacement is a rather easy tasks.
Here are a few reasons on why you may need to replace the fan:
- Fan has become noisy with either loud humming or clicking sounds
- Fan has stopped working, causing your Nintendo Wii to overheat or turn off
- Need to install a higher powered fan because your Nintendo Wii is in a location with poor air circulation.
|This post is one of several on how to fix problems with your Nintendo Wii. To see the entire list, click here for the Nintendo Wii Repair Guide.|
In this tutorial, I will take you through the steps to replace the internal fan on the Nintendo Wii. If you need a replacement fan for you Wii, I would recommend going to Amazon to pick one up. As of the latest update to this post there is an aftermarket fan by Whisper that you can purchase for $4.99. More are sure to come on to the market. Click here to purchase a Wii Replacment Fan from Amazon
Here is the step-by-step guide:
1. Disconnect all power, audio / visual, and sensor bar cables from your Nintendo Wii.
2. Follow my step-by-step guide on taking apart your Nintendo Wii by clicking here. You can skip the last step for removing the heat shield from the Nintendo Wii DVD.
3. Orient yourself to the Nintendo Wii console and the area around the fan on the back of the unit. Here you will be removing three items, one power cable -- that provides the power to the fan and two additional screws indicated by the arrows in this picture.
4. Use a flat-head, screwdriver, fingernails, or a pry tool to separate the power cable from the outlet. Do not pull on the cables to disconnect as you could damage the connectors.
5. Using a Phillips screwdriver, remove both of the screws on either side of the Nintendo Wii.
6. Slide out the fan to complete the removal of the internal fan on your Nintendo Wii.
With the fan removed, you now can insert the replacement fan into the Nintendo Wii. To install, reverse the process above in order to install and connect the fan to your Nintendo Wii. Once you complete the process, you are set with your replacement fan.