With the release of Motorola Phone Tools v5 (MPT 5.0), there are a ton of new features to take advantage of. As part of my on-going coverage of the Motorola RAZR and other phones, I am publishing a number of how-to guides so that you can use the updated features of the new software.
|This article is a part of the complete guide to Motorola Phones, Modding, Software, and Troubleshooting guide. For additionl articles on Motorola Phone tools and other tips, please click here.|
Before you can start using the Mobile Phone Tools application with your phone, first you need to configure the connectivity. You generally have two options -- connecting via an USB cable or via Bluetooth Wireless connectivity. In this particular guide will show you how you can configure your Motorola RAZR (or similar mobile device) with Bluetooth connectivity to your computer utilizing Motorola Phone Tools 5.0. Using this type of connectivity of requires that both your computer and your mobile device both have Bluetooth connectivty.
If you do not own a copy of Motorola's Phone Tools -- you can order it for a cheap as $2 (MPT V4 upgraded to V5) through Amazon (link here) -- or buy the full MPT V5 for less than $15 (link here).
Here is the step-by-step guide.
1. Open the Motorola Phone Tools v5 Software -- if this is your first use, then the Phone Setup Wizard should initiate. If not, you can access this wizard by opening the application and clicking on Options --> New Mobile. Then click on the Bluetooth radio button and select next.
2. The wizard will ask you to select your phone model from the long list of possibilities (listed below). Based on your selection, it will walk you through how to connect via Bluetooth. I selected my V3 and clicked on next.
3. The instructions walk you through turning the Bluetooth capability on your mobile phone. For the V3 it is press Menu --> Settings --> Connection --> Bluetooth link --> Setup --> Power --> ON --> OK.
4. Now you need to make your phone discoverable. By default, the V3 RAZR is discoverable for 60 seconds at a time. To set that, press Menu --> Settings --> Connection --> Bluetooth link --> Setup --> Find Me. Now Bluetooth discovery is enabled for 60 seconds.
5. Once you make your phone discoverable via Bluetooth, click on next and your pc / laptop will search for your Motorola RAZR V3 phone. It took about 15 seconds for the Motorola Phone icon to show up in my window. Click on next to continue.
6. Once you click next, you are given instructions to connect your phone. Go to your phone, accept the connection on your mobile phone from the computer. Then enter the 4-digit code (it's random and changes each time). Finally grant access. Once you enter the information, the screen automatically moves you forward.
7. Windows / MPT installs the device for Mobile Phone Tools use. This process took approximately 15 seconds for me.
8. This screen confirms that you have completed the setup of your Bluetooth connectivity from MPT to your mobile phone. Once you click finish, MPT 5.0 will exit. Restart and you are connected via Bluetooth!
This guide and Motorola Phone Tools (MPT) v5 works with the following Motorola Phones:
Motorola V8 LUX
RAZR2 V8 LUX