Recently while working on some posts related to geotagging, I came across a couple of programs that will enable you to capture the screen from your Blackberry device and save the images to the desktop of your PC for whatever use you have. I wish I had looked for these in the past to take screenshots of my Blackberry -- in the past, I had used my camera to take a picture of the screen and then cropped those photos in Photoshop. Now, using these utilities, there is no further need for me to do that anymore!
All three of them are "freeware" utilities that can be downloaded from the Internet, and generally require two items:
1. Connectivity to your Blackberry device via drivers or your Blackberry Desktop software (downloaded from RIM)
2. A JavaLoader.exe application file, which one of the applications below (jl_cmder) installs automatically. I recommend starting there, especially if you do not already have
I have listed my the three below in my order of preference, as they are great tools for creating and making images for documentation or other purposes.
1. JL_Cmder v1.9.0 by Doug Fisher -- short for JavaLanguage Commander -- can be downloaded courtesy of Blackberry Freaks here. It's a command line interface with ASCII text that resembles the screen of a Blackberry. The installer package also includes the JavaLoader.exe application that is required to operate the other two utilities.
What I really like about JL_Cmder is that it is a pretty light application, captures screenshots in the format of Windows bitmap files (BMP), and has a lot of additional features. For example, you can pull the Device Info, check and Event Log, take a Screen shot, wipe your device, and reset to factory, all from the command line. It's an all purpose utility and of course, it is free! The only drawback is that you are limited to capturing your screenshots in only the bitmap format.
2. BBScreenShoter v1.65a is a GUI based tool provided by Oppitronic, a German website (Download here). It is purely an application for taking screen shots from your Blackberry device and is packed with options. If you need a pure screen shot application, this is the tool for you. It does require JavaLoader.exe, so point the application at the JavaLoader.exe file that installed from JL_Cmder above. The features on BBScreenShooter allows you to take different types of images, including BMP, JPG, and PNG files as well as control the default location. File naming via auto number the files if you are taking them in a series and include your PIN number. You can even frame your pictures with a border if you want. Definitely a great Screen Shot application.
3. The final application is BBScreenStream v0.91a by Oppitronic as well (download here) is more of a screen recording tool than a basic screen capture application that requires JavaLoader.exe as well. Still, it can be used for dual purposes, especially if you want to piece together a series of images into a how-to guide or video. It will record your actions via AVI file to be stored on your computer or as your are using an application you can just click to copy an image to the clipboard.
If you are looking for a screen capture utility for any Blackberry device, then you've found one that will work for you!
Screen Capture the following Blackberry models: